Thank you for signing up to receive city updates and my council newsletters. I am honored to serve the residents of District 3 and I am always available for questions, concerns or comments. Please follow me on Facebook or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Celebration & Service
The City of Surprise 4th Annual MLK Day of Celebration and Service is an event so many of us look forward to and is a great way to get involved in your community. This year, there were many great community service projects such as creating birthday cards and goody bags for foster families, stuffing packages for Packages from Home, assembling hygiene kits for the homeless, filling backpacks with school supplies and writing thank you letters to Veterans. I am proud to be a part of the wonderful community we have in the City of Surprise.
This year marks the 18th Annual Cactus League Spring Training season. It all starts with the Surprise Spring Training Welcome Back Luncheon on Friday, February 14, which also includes complimentary entry into the Sanderson Ford College Baseball Classic game at 1 p.m. The College Baseball Classic continues from February 14-17 at Surprise Stadium. Regular admission tickets are as low as $15 each. Spring Training starts on Friday, February 21, and continues through Saturday, March 21. Also, there is a Surprise Spring Training 5K on March 6. There are also some fun special events and promotions such as Kids Run the Bases after every Sunday game. For more information or to purchase tickets, please visit https://www.surprisestadium.com/.
Meeting with Shadow Ridge High School Student
We recently had the opportunity to meet with a concerned high school student regarding recycling. She shared her concerns, insights and ideas about our community which led to a great discussion about her future goals and plans for community involvement.
Development in Surprise
The much anticipated Sterling Grove by Toll Brothers, located in District 3, is now open! This planned community spans 780 acres and includes such amenities as a clubhouse, pools, tennis and pickleball courts as well as an 18-hole Nicklaus-designed golf course. Thank you for choosing the City of Surprise for such an amazing development!
City Council also attended the grand opening of Asante Library, 16755 W. Vereda Solana Drive. The 10,000 square foot space offers such amenities as self-check kiosks, public computers, free wi-fi and separate areas for children, teens and adults. This location is the first to offer study and meeting rooms.
Please continue to be aware of various road closures and traffic restrictions:
- Due to road improvement, Sarival Avenue remains closed from Cactus Road to Hearn Road through March 2020. Sarival Avenue is open to local traffic only from Greenway Road to Hearn Road.
- Waddell Road continues to be fully closed from SR303 to Legacy Park Boulevard through March 2020. Intermittent closures, reduced speed limits and lane restrictions will continue through mid-June 2020.
As always, please feel free to reach out to me directly if you should have any questions or concerns regarding traffic. For the most up-to-date information on road closures, please visit https://www.surpriseaz.gov/100/Road-Closures-Traffic-Restrictions.
New Council Conversations Show – Surprise Youth Council
Councilmember David Sanders and I hosted a Council Conversations show with our Surprise Youth Council. Hear from our youth about what the Surprise Youth Council is and what projects they are working on. Plus, get their perspective on what’s important to them, some of city’s greatest strengths and weaknesses, and their favorite places to visit in Surprise. Then, we answered some of their questions for us!
Check out the episode here: https://surprisetv.surpriseaz.gov/watch?v=tWUDZWhXIP8
The City of Surprise conducts a City Academy each year. This provides residents the opportunity to learn about local issues, meet local leaders and understand how city government is structured. This eight-week academy will provide you with a better understanding of each department and how they work together.
The 2020 Surprise City Academy meets weekly from February 24 to April 6 in the auditorium of the Surprise Public Safety Building, 14250 W. Statler. Seating is limited and registration is required prior to February 17. Please visit www.surpriseaz.gov/cityacademy for more information.
- February 8- While I normally hold my Monthly Meet and Greet on the first Saturday of every month, we have postponed the February meeting to February 8 at Jim’s Burgers and Eggs from 9:00-11:00 a.m.
- February 17- City offices will be closed in observance of Presidents’ Day.
- February 21- Rec Nights “Sports Night” event for teens in 6-8 grade https://www.surpriseaz.gov/Calendar.aspx?EID=8589&month=2&year=2020&day=22&calType=0
- March 7- Monthly Meet and Greet on the first Saturday of every month at Jim’s Burgers and Eggs from 9:00-11:00 a.m.
- March 16 to 20- Sign up for College Tours to Arizona State University, University of Arizona or Grand Canyon University by calling 623-222-2000
- March 26- State of the City Address and 60th Anniversary Celebration https://www.surpriseaz.gov/Calendar.aspx?EID=8613&month=3&year=2020&day=22&calType=0
- March 27- Rec Nights “Spring Fling” for teens in 6-8 grade https://www.surpriseaz.gov/Calendar.aspx?EID=8590&month=3&year=2020&day=21&calType=0
- April 1- Census Day; for more info www.surpriseaz.gov/Census2020
As a reminder, City Council agendas are posted online at www.surpriseaz.gov/agendas at least two business days before the meeting. City Council meets the first and third Tuesdays of each month. Work Sessions are at 4 p.m. and Regular Meetings begin at 6 p.m. All meetings are carried live on Surprise TV for cable customers and streamed online at www.surpriseaz.gov/surpriseTV.