Thank you for signing up to receive city updates and my council newsletters. I am honored to serve the residents of District 3 and I am always available for questions, concerns or comments. Please follow me on Facebook or email me directly at email@example.com.
Meeting with Surprise Youth Council
Members from the Surprise Youth Council met with me on December 3rd. We typically meet on a quarterly basis, and these interactions provide an opportunity to learn more about what is important to the youth of Surprise and also understand how we can better serve them. I appreciate the Surprise Youth Council and thank them for all of their hard work.
18th Annual Surprise Party
My family and I look forward to the Annual Surprise Party events each year. There are so many fun things for Surprise families to do and see, including the hot air balloon glow, holiday tree lighting, gingerbread house contest and a variety of entertainment options. This year, the Surprise Party included snow and a sledding hill. It was a great event, and I would like to thank the Parks & Recreation Department for always making sure this is a huge success.
The AZ TechCelerator is an innovative way to grow your business and is a terrific resource located right here in Surprise. Every year, our Economic Development team hosts the #TechtheHalls event where you can tour the facility and learn more about their programs. This year, there were various tech exhibits, games, refreshments and a variety of entertainment. They also gave away some great tech raffle prizes such as a Samsung Chromebook, a smart watch and much more.
The Angry Crab Shack is now open in Surprise! This locally owned and operated restaurant is known for their seafood which features both Asian and Cajun flavors. The Angry Crab Shack is also known for giving back to their community which makes them a great fit for our city. We thank you for coming to Surprise and wish you much success.
Please be aware of various traffic restrictions and road closures, including the following:
- Sarival Avenue is closed from Cactus Road to Hearn Road through March 2020 for road improvement.
Sarival Avenue will be open to local traffic only from Greenway Road to Hearn Road.
- Waddell Road remains fully closed from SR303 to Legacy Park Boulevard through March 2020. However, please be aware of intermittent closures, lane restrictions and reduced speed limits that will continue through mid-June 2020.
- Cactus Road will be closed from 175th Avenue and Cotton Lane through January 24.
- Cactus Road will be closed from Cotton Lane to Auto Show Avenue from January 6-24.
- Cotton Lane will be closed from just south of Waddell Road to just north of Peoria Avenue from January 13-24. Access to homes and businesses will be maintained.
Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you should have any questions or concerns regarding traffic. Otherwise, for the most up-to-date information on road closures, please visit https://www.surpriseaz.gov/100/Road-Closures-Traffic-Restrictions.
SATV Pilot Program
The city would like community feedback on the use of vendor-owned, commercially-operated Shared Active Transportation Vehicles (SATV), which are generally referred to as electric bicycles, e-bicycles, electric scooters or e-scooters. The purpose of the SATV Pilot Program is to collect and evaluate information relating to the use of SATV’s as a transportation option in our city. Your opinion is important and will help form future city code related to SATV’s.
If you would like to share your feedback, please take a moment and complete the survey online from now through April 28, 2020.
To take the survey or view the SATV temporary ordinance, please visit www.surpriseaz.gov/SATV.
- January 4- Monthly Meet and Greet on the first Saturday of every month at Jim’s Burgers and Eggs from 9:00-11:00 a.m.
- January 11- Fire Station 307 Open House, 16171 W. Cactus Road (Cactus and Sarival) from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. https://www.surpriseaz.gov/Calendar.aspx?EID=8385&month=1&year=2020&day=17&calType=0
- January 18- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Celebration & Service https://www.surpriseaz.gov/mlk
- January 19- Sunday in the Park Food Truck Festival at Mark Coronado Park from 12:00-4:00 p.m. https://www.surpriseaz.gov/Calendar.aspx?EID=8292&month=1&year=2020&day=17&calType=0
- January 20- City of Surprise offices will be closed in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- January 24- Rec Nights Winter Formal at Sierra Montana Recreation from 7:00-10:00 p.m. https://www.surpriseaz.gov/Calendar.aspx?EID=8588
- February 1- Monthly Meet and Greet on the first Saturday of every month at Jim’s Burgers and Eggs from 9:00-11:00 a.m.
- February 21- Opening Day for the 2020 Cactus League Spring Training https://www.surprisestadium.com
- March 6- 3rd Annual Surprise Spring Training 5K/1K http://www.surprisestadium.com/events/5k
- March 7- Monthly Meet and Greet on the first Saturday of every month at Jim’s Burgers and Eggs from 9:00-11:00 a.m.
As a reminder, City Council agendas are posted online at www.surpriseaz.gov/agendas at least two business days before the meeting. City Council meets the first and third Tuesdays of each month. Work Sessions are at 4 p.m. and Regular Meetings begin at 6 p.m. All meetings are carried live on Surprise TV for cable customers and streamed online at www.surpriseaz.gov/surpriseTV.